Brian Kelly, B.A. (Hons.), LL.B.
Brian R. Kelly is the youngest son of the firm's namesake and founder, the late John Joseph Kelly. Brian has over thirty years of legal experience in and out of the courtroom. He maintains a general practice and has extensive experience practicing family law, civil litigation, business and commercial law, employment, appellate litigation, personal injury, wills and estates, municipal law and administrative law, real estate, human rights, criminal law, enforcement/collections and controlled goods. Brian has advocated in cases before all levels of court in Ontario including the Supreme Court of Canada as well as before various boards and tribunals and is trained and experienced in mediation, arbitration and negotiation.
Brian has a refreshing, honest and direct approach. Brian's practice focuses on finding creative solutions to all types of disputes; but when negotiations deteriorate, he is ready to litigate. Equally so, as a solicitor Brian has provided advice to large corporate-commercial clients from start-up to mergers and acquisitions to intellectual property.
Brian was born and raised in Kitchener and is pleased to give back to the community. Brian served for ten years on the Family and Children's Services of the Waterloo Region Foundation Board of Directors, is a member of Ducks Unlimited Canada and also serves on the Board of Directors of Lake Huron Centre for Coastal Conservation, the Board of Directors of Bluewater Resort Limited, as well as the Board of Directors of the Kitchener Panthers IBL Baseball Club.
- Called to the Bar in 1991
- Queen's University, 1986-1989, LL.B.
- University of Western Ontario, 1984-1986, B.A. (Hons.) Political Science
- University of Western Ontario, 1981-1984, B.A. Finance
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Bar Association
- Waterloo Law Association
- Bruce Law Association
Areas of Practice
- Family Law
- Civil Litigation
- Employment Litigation
- Appellate Litigation
- Personal Injury
- Wills and Estates
- Municipal Law and Administrative Law
- Real Estate
- Human Rights
- Canadian Human Rights Commission
- Ontario Human Rights Commission
- Business and Commercial Law
- Director, Children's Aid Society of the Waterloo Region (retired)
- Founding Director and past Officer, 1100 Hunt Club Inc.
- President & Director, Bluewater Resort Ltd.
- President & Director, P. Smyth Holdings Inc.
- President, Eidt's Grove Cottagers' Association, 1996-1997
- Permanent President of Queen's University Law Class of 1989